A Bit About Us
The Bankers Hill Club
Empowering persons with disabilities since 1930
The Start of an era:
In the early part of the last century, sensing a need in the disabled community for fellowship, a group of persons with disabilities banded together to create a space where they could have events, parties, and dinner meetings that would be geared toward inclusivity. April 1930 they officially formed the “San Diego Indoor Sports Club”, and the name ‘Indoor Sports’ was selected because the members were indoors all the time, and the use of the word 'Sport' was common when referring to another friend similar to 'chap' or ‘buddy’.
In 1931, facing a fast growing membership and a community with a great interest in events, Sunshine Adams of Culver City realized there was a need for able bodied persons to help orchestrate the events, and so Sunshine gathered four people from San Diego with connections to the community and they formed the sister organization called the “Good Sports Club”. The purpose of the club was to help assist in running the dinners, socials and event, additionally the overarching aim of the Good Sports was to help find some “Indoor Sports” (persons with disabilities) in San Diego to get together for a monthly parties and events; and so it began.
In the early 40's large fundraisers were held in an effort to create a more permanent location for the group. Although the Good Sports Club and the Indoor Sports Club each had their own separate nonprofit entities, traditionally both organizations collaborated on two big fundraisers each year to raise monies toward the betterment of the Club, and the operation of the organization. In 1946 land was purchased on the location of the current building on Front St., a location with breathtaking views overlooking the Coronado Island, Point Loma, and the San Diego harbor.
It took nearly 6 more years to raise the funds and construct the clubhouse at 3030, and by 1950 construction on the clubhouse was complete. By years end the members of the San Diego Indoor Sports Club, along with their sister organization the Good Sports Club had their first dinner party in the new clubhouse. This began what would become over 8 decades of fellowship, entertainment, and social engagement for hundreds if not thousands of members who have walked through the storied doors of the building at 3030, and for many the Club was and is one of the few opportunities for social engagement and group fellowship among like minded persons.
The Club Today:
Fast forward to today and the community is now reinvigorated. New energy runs through the organization as it sets out to become a pillar of support for any person living with disability. With new leadership, and a bright vision, The Bankers Hill Club is here to dramatically improve the lives of persons living with disabilities.